Skip to main content

Rabbits!

I like not lady-slippers, Nor yet the sweet-pea blossoms, Nor yet the flaky roses, Red or white as snow; I like the chaliced lilies, The heavy Eastern lilies, The gorgeous tiger-lilies, That in our garden grow.
Thomas Bailey Aldrich 1836-1908

These words do not reflect my feelings accurately.  There are not many flowers that I dislike. The poem might have been written by a rabbit, if rabbits could write of course. I bought four of these Asiatic lilies last month and gave two to my daughter. After living in a new build home for a few years and leading very busy lives, last year they landscaped their garden.
When she received the lilies, G wasted no time and planted them in her new garden.
For the last few years their garden has been a haven for wild life as my son in law feeds anything and everything that passes through. Many different bird species, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and a pair of ducks.
When the garden was just lawn, that was fine.
Now it has lovely flower beds, walkways and a paved patio.
You could almost hear the critters rubbing their paws together.
After a steady winter diet of seeds, nuts and 'rascal mix', at the appearance of greenery other than grass, they went to town. The rabbits, already huge from their enriched winter diet, are the greediest.
First the tulips, then the lupins. They don't like lupins, they bite off the flowers and spit them out.  The same with albums,  too oniony perhaps?
But Asiatic lilies, delicious! All that remained after 48 hours were the denuded stems.
My daughter is now putting the bunnies on a diet, and slowly withdrawing their 'extras', in the hope that they will move on to greener pastures.
They might. I have a feeling it will only be after they have denuded the flower beds. Maybe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A journey in time

if light is in your heart, you will find your way home - Rumi-
Almost eleven years ago I began a blog I called September Song. I met a lot of lovely people, many of whom I'm still in touch with.
I miss blogging and after a six month break I'm going to begin again.
No promises or expectations of how often I will post.
If any of my old blog pals, the ones I have lost touch with manage to find me here that would be a bonus.
It's rather exciting. It feels like the first day of school, the new exercise book, and a freshly sharpened pencil, and a new term ahead.
Let's see what happens.

A grand day out.

The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky....Solomon Short

We had a nice day out at the end of May.
About 2 hours away from us is a town that was an important base for the British Military in the War of 1812.
We spent summers nearby several years ago, when we kept a boat at Midland, and while we had visited Penatanguishine, had no idea there was a living museum there.
I learned about Discovery Harbour while looking online for something else.


The centrepiece of this museum is the HMS Tecumseth. The original sank in Penatanguishine Harbour and lay under water for about 150 years. It was eventually recovered and the remains are displayed in a temperature controlled, dedicated building.




Also on the site are numerous original and restored buildings.  They are furnished and staffed with knowledgeable  guides dressed in clothing appropriate to their role.
In the harbour itself is a replica of the HMS Tecumseth, complete with crew. Great fun to go aboard and explore, both above and b…

Spring

With a few flowers in my garden, half a dozen pictures and some books, I live without envy.
Lope de Vega


I'm never happier than when the flowers start to bloom in my garden.
This past Winter, though relatively mild, seemed very long.
I passed the cold days reading, and doing family history.
I planted a lot of Canada 150 tulips bulbs. They were developed in the Netherlands for Canada's 150th birthday. I thought they would never grow, but at last they are in bud, and I hope soon to show them in bloom. White flowers, with a red 'flame' mimicking the Canadian flag.
Life is good.